Errata-updates for Yale-G’s 5th Edition (with sincere apology from the author team):
The author team keeps monthly updates in Yale-G’s new Kindle version on Amazon to make this book the best for the USMLE Step 2 CK!
- P49: Malaria (five strains): Add one more strain (P. knowlesi) to the four strains:
- P65: Chapter 1 HYQs #44 Answer = “B” (oseltamivir).
- P286: HYQ 30: “NNT (+)” should be “NBT (-)”.
- P388: Meniere Disease: Essentials of Dx: 1. “bilateral” (hearing loss) should be “unilateral.”
- P388: Essential Tremor (updated PEARLS): Heavy alcohol ingestion may be in the patient’s history, and small amount of alcohol can help alleviate symptoms shortly.
- P396: HYQ 12-D: Helical CT angiography.
- P437 update: “Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding” is no longer accredited and should be part of “Abnormal Uterine Bleeding”.
- P529 and 532: Methemoglobinemia Tx-Antidote: “…dapsone, local anesthetic agents, aniline dyes, and high nitrate levels …” should be removed.
- P647: Cause specific mortality rate = Deaths due to a specific cause per 100,000 person-year at risk for a population, usually in a specific geographic area.
- P87: Systemic Hypertension Table 2-5: Update:
- Table 2-5: Blood Pressure Staging and Management
- (American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association)
|Category||Systolic BP (mmHg)||Diastolic BP (mmHg)||Management|
|Normal levels||<120||<80||Annual reassess + healthy lifestyle modification|
|Elevated||120-129||<80||Healthy lifestyle modification + reassess in 3-6 months|
|Stage 1 HTN||130-139||80-89||Assess 10-year risk for heart disease and stroke:|
<10% 10-year risk: lifestyle modification + reassess in 3-6 months;
>10% 10-year risk, or with known CVD, DM: lifestyle modification + anti-HTN medication; reassess in 1 month for Tx effectiveness: if the goal is met, reassess in 3-6 months; if the goal is not met, change medication. Continue monthly follow-up.
|Stage 2 HTN||≥140||≥90||Two anti-HTN medications of different classes; reassess in 1 month for Tx effectiveness: if the goal is met, reassess in 3-6 months; if the goal is not met, change medication. Continue monthly follow-up.|
|Hypertensive crisis or emergency||≥180||≥120||IV nitroprusside + nitroglycerin +/- hydralazine/labetalol/nicardipine to reduce BP by 25% in 1-2 hours.|
- All Chapters: many updates and 100 more HYQs have been added in the 6th edition (Amazon Kindle version).